the fourth beast in Daniel’s list is generally accepted as Rome. This is the consensus among those who think that Daniel truly predicts the future rather than looks to the recent past. The armies of Rome were machine-like and disciplined, they were also well-equipped with iron weapons. Nothing that Rome opposed could withstand them. Rome built on Greek foundations, but through the church and its own cultural traditions the influence of Rome has reached down through the centuries. The ten kingdoms that are talked of as horns are powers within this Roman-influenced timeline. Their exact meaning is unclear.
7 “After that, in my vision at night I looked, and there before me was a fourth beast—terrifying and frightening and very powerful. It had large iron teeth; it crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. It was different from all the former beasts, and it had ten horns.
- How was this beast different from other beasts?
- How destructive is this beast?
- In your opinion, what might the horns represent?
- What world powers have been well-organised and experts at destroying their enemies completely?
- How might a final kingdom in the history of mankind resemble this beast?