What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
Presuming Upon Grace
When we realise how nothing can effect our salvation, we might be tempted just to cruise. A middle school student asked last week how God could forgive us so easily. I responded by telling the junior highers that they deserved crucifixion. Then I described in detail the death that Jesus died. The life which we have been given was never cheap. If we understand how dearly our lives were purchased, we would not consider treating it lightly.
I do not think of your grace as often as I should. Increase my gratitude by helping me think of it more often.
- What has led to Paul cautioning those who would presume upon grace?
- What is a right response to the fact that Jesus has died for us?
- Why doesn’t the argument just stop at Jesus’ death?
- How do people today treat God’s grace with contempt?
- What is an appropriate life to live in light of the death and resurrection of Jesus?