11 Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart;
then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.
A healthy person sees themselves as distinct from others in appropriate ways. However, there is a sense in which we are connected with each other. Parents have a connection with their children and realise that children are reflection of their parenting. Some of the reflection is earned, but children are, of course, individuals. If a child does well, people assume good things about the parents. If a child does badly, people assume bad things. Poor character in a child often causes a parent to doubt themselves. Such a parent can not go about public life without thinking of the public reputation their child also brings upon them.
- What does the parent ask of the child?
- How does the reputation of a child reflect on the reputation of the parent?
- How does God factor in the relationship betwen a parent and their child’s public actions?
- Prince Harry was caught naked in Las Vegas while playing strip pool. How does that reflect on his parents and the Windsor family?
- How have you honoured or disgraced your family? How do your children behave in public? How do you think that changes your reputation?