The wise prevail through great power, and those who have knowledge muster their strength. 6 Surely you need guidance to wage war, and victory is won through many advisers.
God, The Ultimate Weapon
Wisdom is the pursuit of God and the understanding of the world as he sees it. From God’s perspective war must sometimes be waged. The question is not one of whether personal preferences and national interests are upheld. The question is whether a war is one that upholds righteousness. If a war is against wicked people and for good reasons, we migfht say that God approves. If God approves of such wars he will be on the side of the righteous. This results in power on the battlefield and assured victory. In theory this is all very nice, but discerning the will of God in such matters is a painstaking and drawn out process.
- How does the writer see God’s role in a time of war?
- What is the connection between wisdom and war?
- Is the war in Afghanistan justfied?
- Was the war in Iraq wise?
- What conflicts could happen in the world right now where a Christian could pray to God for wisdom and God would support the ‘righteous’ army?