There were many proverbs floating around the ancient world. Mesopotamia, Egypt and Canaan had wisdom literature. It often instructed a person how to live in a palace or how to carry out business. The wisdom literature of the Bible is different because it does not talk to a particular community. Because it is an anthology of Israel’s wisdom, it is addressed to Israel as a whole. Princes and paupers are both addressed within its pages. secondly, biblical wisdom is from God. God created the world in wisdom. God sustains the world with wisdom. God communicates the nature of wisdom to those who believe. If anyone lacks wisdom, they can ask God because his wisdom is the foundation of reality. Talking to God gives us greater insight into the way things truly are.
- Which reagions had wisdom literature at the time of Proverbs?
- How is the Israelite wisdom different?
- Why would Solomon be accredited with a large portion of the book?
- How wise do other people tell you you are?
- How could a book of ancient wisdom help you at home, at work, or in church?