Day one, as we studied, God created time. Day two God creates the sources of weather. Day three God creates the foundation of agriculture. God’s foundation and control of the world is typically broken down into these three areas. Genesis 8:22 is an example of how these three divisions of creation play into God’s administration: “As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest [agriculture], cold and heat, summer and winter [weather], day and night [time] will never cease.” Modern advances in technology give mankind the impression that we are masters of these things. However, although we can work with what God has created, mankind can not guarantee safety and harmony when working with God’s fallen world. It is only when God manages creation that agriculture, weather, and day and night can work in the peaceful harmony that we would call shalom.
- What does the text say God created on day two?
- What does the text say that God created on day three?
- What are the purposes of the creations of day two and three?
- How has mankinds views of time, weather, and agriculture become godless?
- How would thinking about God as the master of time, agriculture, and weather transform us?
- What is between the waters?
- What was the purpose of the ‘expanse’ (NIV)?
- What did God call the expanse?
- What did God command concerning water on the third day?
- What did God want the land to do?
- ‘Expanse’ was perceived by the Israelite audience as a solid dome. How might that be important?
- How does the Israelite idea taht rainwater is stored above a solid dome and then is released not make this passage inaccurate or wrong?
- How is weather the focus? Why is the rain important in the Middle East?
- Is the focus on day three the seas or the land? Explain.
- What is the agricultural importance of plants and seeds?
- If God is master of the skies, why might pollution be sinful?
- How does messing with God’s good creation bring natural disasters?
- Do you pray about weather?
- Rent LEAP OF FAITH which stars Steve Martin as Jonas Nightengale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_Faith_(film) .
- How do you take agricultural produce for granted?