“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” How do you do that when you are facing being swept away with the rest of your people? There has been an economic meltdown. There is no food to eat. Habakkuk may have been killed soon after writing this. We are left with a call to rejoice even in the face of disaster. I am seeking God’s face so that I can rejoice in spite of my circumstances. It is hard.
- How did Habakkuk react physically to hearing the word of God?
- Despite the dissipation of resources, how has Habakkuk resolved to react?
- How does God change Habakkuk’s feet?
- How can someone who is trembling walk with surety on mountain heights?
- How can a Christian triumph even though they lose everything?
The president of Moody, Dr. Nyquist, talked about how ‘faith defying’ circumstances can become ‘faith defining’ circumstances. My wife and I received difficult news again. As another potential storm rolls our way, we must allow our reaction to circumstances that could defy our faith to define a deeper faith. As I write this I am both trembling at what God may do and rejoicing in the God of my salvation.